Crude Oil Pocket
From GC version 220.127.116.11 and later, oil pockets work like this:
- You won't have oil in the middle of caves or abandoned minecrafts, like in the first screenshot below - oil will only be generated inside rock formations (or other blocks)
- Instead of the numerous small pockets of oil, there is now a smaller number (40% of what it was before) of larger oil reservoirs.
- Oil is more common in desert and ocean biomes.
- Oil is not common in any type of hills biome.
If upgrading from an older GC3, to get the new oil generation, you would need to re-generate your Overworld - otherwise you will find the old system in any part of the Overworld you already explored.
It is still possible to find oil in a Stronghold (behind the walls etc).
There are various sizes of crude oil pocket, this would be for a large one:
- Shape: spheroid (flattened sphere)
- Size: 17 x 17 wide. 9 tall.
- Volume: 829 Crude Oil blocks
- If you have Mekanism installed, use the Seismic Vibrator to find Crude Oil Pockets.