The Electric Compressor, also known as Electric Ingot Compressor, is a Tier 2 machine block that is used to compress different kinds of ingots and convert them into compressed metal sheets and platings.
It has the same use as the non-electric Compressor. Its advantage is that it is not necessary to use coal or wood to power it. Instead it has to be powered with energy.
Electric Compressor will drop as an item when broken with any tool or by hand, but a pickaxe is the fastest way to break it.
Currently it is used to make:
- Compressed Iron
- Compressed Aluminum
- Compressed Copper
- Compressed Tin
- Compressed Steel
- Compressed Bronze
- Compressed Meteoric Iron
- Compressed Desh
- Compressed Titanium
- Tier 1 Heavy-Duty Plate
- Tier 2 Heavy-Duty Plate
- Tier 3 Heavy-Duty Plate
The ingredients go in the crafting grid. Most compressor recipes (e.g. Compressed Iron) are shapeless, just requiring two ingots: but for Heavy-Duty Plate correct placement is important.
The machine can be rotated with a Standard Wrench.
In all versions of Galacticraft, the output slots of the Electric Compressor are accessible from below - for example, place a Hopper beneath it to move its output into a chest (or use another mod with item-moving pipes).
In Galacticraft 2, the input slots (crafting grid) can be accessed from the top side of the Electric Compressor. But because it is a crafting grid, except for the simplest compressor recipes (e.g. Meteoric Iron Ingot -> Compressed Meteoric Iron) you will likely only be able to automate it if using another mod which can place recipe items precisely in a crafting grid, for example Logistics Pipes.
In Galacticraft 3 prior to version 22.214.171.124, the position is similar to Galacticraft 2 except that the input slots can be accessed from 5 sides of the machine - all sides except the underneath.
In Galacticraft 3 more recent versions, smarter automation has been added to this machine so that can be automated in several situations even if using 'dumb' inputs like Hoppers or Buildcraft pipes. This is improved again in final versions of Galacticraft 3, from 126.96.36.1997 and later. It works like this:
- if there is already a functioning recipe laid out on the Electric Compressor's crafting grid, input pipes will add ingots (or other items) to the existing recipe item stacks to replenish them
- if that recipe has the same item twice over (e.g. Compressed Copper needs 2 copper ingots, Compressed Tin needs 2 tin ingots etc), input pipes will automatically add ingots to both stacks, to keep the 2 item stacks even in size - so the pipes add an ingot to one stack, then an ingot to the other stack, etc
- if there is no recipe (or no functioning recipe), then the input pipes will try to create a recipe, basically adding ingots in empty spots to see if that makes a functioning recipe or not. This will work out fine so long as your Hopper does not mix ingredients for two different recipes. For example, fill a Hopper with a stack of aluminium ingots and it will automatically place one ingot in the crafting grid, then the next ingot in the crafting grid in a different spot, so making the recipe for Compressed Aluminium (it's a shapeless recipe requiring 2 aluminium ingots). Now that the compressor has a functioning recipe, the Hopper or input pipes should be able to top-up and replenish those input stacks as long as you have a good supply of the same ingots
- up to Galacticraft version 188.8.131.526 this did not work for a shaped recipe like Tier 1 Heavy-Duty Plate, unless you first created the recipe manually - but if the recipe was already set, automation could keep it topped up with ingredients, as long as you had enough ingredients (another solution was to use Logistics Pipes or a similar mod, as mentioned above) - after 184.108.40.2067 the Electric Compressor is smarter and can even build shaped recipes from a Hopper's inputs, but the basic Ingot Compressor is still dumb and cannot automate shaped recipes
- if the crafting grid has items on it which do not make a functioning compressor recipe, then no automatic system will be able to remove those items or re-arrange them into a functioning recipe, the player will have to fix that before automation can work.
- with Applied Energistics 2 automatic crafting, it's best to use a Hopper between the AE interface and the Electric Ingot Compressor. (If you connect the AE interface directly to the Electric Ingot Compressor, it can fill only one stack in the Compressor's crafting grid, because AE does not understand that it needs to offer the Compressor two stacks of the same ingredients.) Depending on your modpack and world settings, another solution could be to tell AE that the Electric Ingot Compressor recipe needs two different types of ingot, for example copper from GC and copper from another mod.
Electric Compressor has the ID name
GalacticraftCore:tile.machine2, data values
0-3 (for 4 rotations).
- Electric Compressor 01.png
Example of Electric Compressor.